Medicare Advantage Plans are health insurance plans approved by Medicare but run by private insurance companies. These plans are available to residents of York County, PA, and throughout South Central Pennsylvania.
Medicare Advantage Plans give you the option of selecting the following types of health insurance plans:
- Private Fee-For–Service (PFFS) plans
- HMOs (Health Maintenance Organizations)
- PPOs (Preferred provider Organizations)
- Medical Savings Accounts (MSA)
- Special Needs Plans (SNP)
Most Medicare Advantage insurance plans have a maximum on out-of-pocket expenses for each year for deductibles and coinsurance. You must study the plans carefully to know exactly what is covered.
Many Medicare Advantage Plans provide prescription drug coverage. Medicare Advantage Plans can also provide extra benefits such as vision, dental, hearing aids, and fitness programs.
Tip: All Medicare Advantage providers present the information about the plans in the same order. For example, say you are looking for the amount a particular plans covers for hospital stays. When you locate that information on one plan outline, you'll find that information in the same place on another company's plan description. This makes comparisons between plans a lot easier.
Regardless of whether you are a resident of York, PA, or some other South Central Pennsylvania town, remember the following key points when evaluating Medicare Advantage Plans:
- First, check to be sure your doctor accepts the insurance plan you are considering.
- Next, be sure your hospital accepts the plan.
- Then consider this question: Most years I am probably not going to face a major illness. But, what if the worst happens and I do become ill; will I be prepared to pay the maximum out-of-pocket expenses associated with Medicare Advantage Plans?